A large part of getting the most out of your home for sale is staying out of legal trouble. Here are 10 of the most common mistakes home sellers can make:
1. Accepting the highest offer without taking into consideration the other terms.
2. Not properly handling multiple offer situations with multiple buyers.
3. Not properly handling offers in backup position.
4. Accepting an offer with too small of an earnest money deposit or none at all.
5. Failure to disclose known material facts that could affect the value of the property.
6. Not providing the buyer with other legally required disclosures (such as Lead-based Paint or Natural Hazard Disclosures).
7. Accepting the buyer's offer before completely verifying the buyer's ability to obtain financing.