Rok Sushi in Hermosa Beach is the local business we thought we'd feature this week on our Business Spotlight. We sat down with General Manager Hitoshi to learn a little more about the restaurant and what they’re all about.
1. Tell me a bit about Rok Sushi.
Rok Sushi Kitchen provides a higher-end dining experience in a more casual beach community. Our prime location allows us to cater to all types of diners, from families, to the locals that go out on weekends.
2. How'd you get involved in the restaurant business?
My family has been in hospitality my entire life, specifically with food and beverage, so I suppose that is in my blood. While I was studying psychology, to become a therapist, I had the opportunity to become a restaurant manager at a very young and inexperienced point in my life. I fell in love with the interactions with people and developed a fascination for food and wine.
3. Why Hermosa Beach? What do you like most about the area? Are you from the South Bay?
I am not originally from the South Bay, but I have always loved the area. Being at such a prime location in Hermosa Beach doesn't hurt either. How can you not love coming to work across the street from the beach?
4. Is Rok Sushi connected to the community/do you give back in any way.
We host mixers for local groups and will donate to charities based in Los Angeles. We just contributed to Walk With Sally, a South Bay based charity, and their March fundraiser, Bowl-A-Prom.
5. What do you love most about what you do/what motivates you?
I love being in the restaurant business and bringing people together over food. I am constantly motivated by the changing food scene, especially here in the South Bay.
6. What are the plans for Rok Sushi going forward? Expansion, Second location, etc.?
We are working on so many new projects. Our recently revamped Happy Hour menu has been very popular, especially our all day "Locals Only" Happy Hour on Sundays. We just installed a social media screen in our dining room. It has been really fun seeing the guests check-in and post their Instagram photos and have them show up on the screen. It takes the dining experience to the next level.
7. Do you guys have any special deals going on now? Would you be willing to offer our readers a special discount if they mention they saw this post on SouthBayResidentials.com?
Our Happy Hour specials are very popular with a wide range of food and drink options, and we would love to extend SouthBayResidentials.com readers a complimentary glass of house cold sake if they mention SouthBayResidentials.com
8. What's one thing you'd want everyone to know about Rok Sushi?
I would like for everyone to know that we are an Asian inspired restaurant and that, although we specialize in sushi, we include different Asian cultures into our food!